Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Pumpkin Patch

Check around for a local pumpkin patch and take your kids to pick out their own pumpkin! Point out to your children all the different sizes of pumpkins - big, medium, little - and the colors too. At our pumpkin patch, we had orange, white, multi-colored, orange and green, white and green. In addition, teach your kids how a pumpkin grows. You can also have them pick up different sizes to see how heavy and light the different pumpkins are too!

On the way to the pumpkin patch, you could tell a story about your own childhood experience of when you went to a pumpkin patch. I'm sure we all have them. My grandpa was a farmer and every year, he planted a field full of pumpkins that we, his grandchildren, got to sell. We always had first pick and always picked the hugest pumpkins in the patch! The best part of the deal was we, the grandkids, got to split the profits!

A lot of times, when we go do something fun, I forget to make our fun activity, a fun learning activity too. But, when I do remember, my kids always have so many questions and have so much more fun.


2 comments:

Tami said...

OK I bought the book! Dillon has been wanting to learn how to read and I have no clue what to do, so I'm going to give your suggestion a try!!! I'm excited!

Mrs Tittlemouse said...

Oh, great! Good luck! I think you will like it!